McCORMICK, S.C. (AP) – South Carolina prison officials say they found dozens of contraband cellphones and earbuds and more than 32 pounds of tobacco and marijuana hidden in a piece of construction equipment.
Authorities say guards searching the equipment Wednesday at McCormick Correctional Institution discovered the secret panel with the $60,000 stash of contraband. None of the banned items made it to inmates.
In all, prison guards found 32 smartphones, 27 pounds of tobacco, 5 pounds of marijuana, 33 chargers, 31 USB plugs, 17 sets of Bluetooth earbuds, 47 lighters, a half-gallon of liquor and other assorted items.
- Who won the Trump-Biden debate? 6 key moments from the final showdown
- Kid Rock, golfer John Daly asked to mask up in the audience at final presidential debate
- Man arrested in North Carolina in May accused of threatening to kill Joe Biden
- Hurricane Epsilon loses some strength as it will stay out to sea. – Check out the latest.
- New Augusta Transit Center now open