AUGUSTA, Ga. (WJBF) - Daylan Jones has enjoyed a breakout freshman year on the track for Cross Creek.
Jones wrapped up his first high school season finishing 7th in state in the 200-meter. He also qualified for the New Balance Outdoor Nationals where he finished 12th in the 100-meter.
This weekend he'll attempt to qualify for the AAU Junior Olympics at the regional qualifier at Laney High School.
"We are really looking forward to him running at home, somewhere he can have family" Cross Creek track & field coach, Steven Giles, said. "We've been traveling all summer, two or three hours, for him to be able to participate in some of these meets. Now, he finally has the opportunity to be at home, run on his home turf [and] have family and friends here to cheer him on. Hopefully, he's going to have a great experience, and we can get some personal records out of it."
"[I'm] looking forward to the competition," Jones said. "I know a lot of people are going to be here because you don't see too many national meets around here, so I'm ready to put on a show for everybody."
The qualifier runs through Sunday.
Jones is competing in both the 100 and 200 on Saturday. The top six finishers in each event qualify for the Junior Olympics, which held at Drake University beginning July 30.
- Teacher says she was fired for giving students zeroes
- Rescued sacrificial rooster terrorizes neighborhood
- Ohio man calls police after pig won't stop following him
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect