AIKEN, S.C. (WJBF) - The 43rd annual Palmetto Amateur teed off at Palmetto Golf Club in Aiken on Wednesday with a familiar, but unexpected face atop the leaderboard.
South Aiken grad and current Wofford men's golf coach, Alex Hamilton, opened with an 8-under 62 in his first appearance since 2005 in the Palmetto Am.
The 35-year-old Hamilton followed it up with a one-over 71 on Thursday to remain tied for the lead after two rounds.
"It's just nice to compete again," Hamilton said. "I haven't played a four-round event since 2012, so just to be a little nervous. I was definitely nervous yesterday, and I guess I should have been more nervous today. I got off to a terrible start, so like I said just to be able to compete again and have those nerves is a really good thing.
"You know [the goal] is just have fun. It's nice having my dad on the bag. As long as I can keep it in perspective. We have a two-year-old little girl, who doesn't even know I played golf today, so it's not that big a deal at the end of the [day]."
Hamilton (-7) tees off in a grouping with co-leader Ryan Knop at 12:10 Friday.
Defending champion Bobby Bai and Augusta University golfer Alex Shead are three shots back. They tee off at Noon.
For the full leaderboard, please click here.
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Georgia's hands-free law now in effect
- Woman arrested after her vehicle hits three children on an ATV in Burke County
- Burke County deputy crashes patrol car in single vehicle accident
- Inmate Found Dead
- Rescued sacrificial rooster terrorizes neighborhood
- Ohio man calls police after pig won't stop following him
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop