GREENVILLE, N.C. (USC Athletics) - The University of South Carolina baseball team won its 18th regional in school history, defeating UNC Wilmington, 8-4, Monday afternoon (June 4) in game six of the 2018 Greenville Regional at Clark-LeClair Stadium. The Gamecocks advance to the Fayetteville Super Regional, facing No. 5 Arkansas next weekend.
The Gamecocks struck first with a pair of runs in the top of the third. Carlos Cortes led off the inning with a single up the middle. He went to second on an infield single by Jonah Bride. Justin Row walked to load the bases and Hunter Taylor brought in a pair with an infield double to the shortstop. The Seahawks answered with a run in the bottom of the third on Mason Berne’s RBI single up the middle.
Carolina scored a pair in the sixth inning as Madison Stokes brought in Danny Blair with a sacrifice fly to left and LT Tolbert singled to right to bring in Cortes. Then in the seventh, Stokes doubled to the gap in right, scoring Blair and Cortes and giving Carolina a 6-3 lead. Bride then added insurance in the ninth with a two-run home run to left.
The Seahawks scored a run in the ninth on a sacrifice fly, but a fielder’s choice ended the game, sending the Gamecocks to a Super Regional.
Cortes was 4-for-5 with three runs scored while Stokes, Bride, Tolbert and Jacob Olson had two hits apiece in the win.
Mlodzinski earned the win, striking out three and allowing four hits and three runs in five-plus innings of work. Eddy Demurias pitched three innings and struck out five while Sawyer Bridges pitched the final frame.
South Carolina answered a two-run Wilmington sixth with two in the seventh on Madison Stokes’ 2-run double.
Carlos Cortes had hits in each of his first four at-bats and scored three runs in the victory.
- Danny Blair was named the Greenville Regional Most Valuable Player while he joined Justin Row, LT Tolbert, Carlos Cortes and Cody Morris on the all-tournament team.
- Carolina advanced to its first Super Regional since 2016 and its 13th overall.
- Eight of the nine starters had at least one hit in the victory over the Seahawks.
- Carolina improves to 3-0 against UNC Wilmington in NCAA Tournament play.
- Carolina moves its NCAA Tournament record to 135-67.
- Carolina goes 3-0 in a regional for the first time since 2013.
South Carolina will face Arkansas in the NCAA Fayetteville Super Regional. The Gamecocks and Razorbacks will play a best-of-three series for a berth in the College World Series. Dates and times will be announced by the NCAA in the near future.
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Georgia's hands-free law now in effect
- Woman arrested after her vehicle hits three children on an ATV in Burke County
- Burke County deputy crashes patrol car in single vehicle accident
- Inmate Found Dead
- Rescued sacrificial rooster terrorizes neighborhood
- Ohio man calls police after pig won't stop following him
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop