More than 6 months after “Scuttle’s Island” was announced in Columbia County, the $20 million dollar water park is moving somewhere else.
“We’re moving the water park, we’ll announce that in a few weeks. It’s gone. We will not build in Columbia County,” Developer Benjamin Bell said.
Bell says the county asked him to do too many things in order to get the water park approved.
County officials wanted state approval and a traffic study before the project could move forward.
“They hated the idea of a water park. The director of Columbia County Planning said I will never approve a water park for that site,” Bell told News Channel 6.
The Lights of the South owner says his Christmas attraction will stay in Columbia County, but the proposed water park is attracting the attention of other counties, one in particular that has offered to help get the project going.
“I mean, it’s so close now, but I don’t want to ruin anything. I want to make sure all of our ducks are in row before we come out of the gates screaming,” Bell said.
Bell told us weeks ago that the water park was going to happen no matter what because he’s already purchased the plans and the water slides.
Now, it’s just a matter of time before we find out where “Scuttle’s Island” is going to be.
“I would say McDuffie, Richmond, North Augusta, Aiken, anywhere around here. It’s in driving range,” Bell said.”
When we asked about the water park being built there, both North Augusta and Aiken County told us that “they do not comment on economic development projects.”
Officials in Aiken County say they do have sites that would be perfect for a water park.
Richmond County officials say it’s likely not going to happen in Augusta.
McDuffie County officials say they haven’t received any official documents for water park from Bell.
- Lights of the South Gets Green Light
- Rally To Be Held For Lights Of The South
- Lights of the South’s Business License Revoked
- Scuttle’s Island Rezoning Proposal Goes Back to Square One
- DEVELOPING ON 6: Scuttle’s Island Owner Withdraws Plans to Build Water Park
- Scuttle’s Island Rezoning Tabled Until April, Citizens Disapprove
- County Officials Still Want Water Park to Happen
- Commissioners See Problems With Scuttles Island Infrastructure
- Water Park Developer Says Summer 2016 Opening Possible
- “Lights of the South” Owner Unveils Water Park Plans
- UPDATED ON 6: Water Park Coming To Columbia County