New York (AP) - A 55-year-old stepmother has been convicted in the 2016 death of her child who was found strangled in the bathtub of her New York City home.
Prosecutors said Monday that Shamdai Arjun faces up to 25 years to life in prison after a jury on Friday found her guilty of murdering 9-year-old Ashdeep Kaur in 2016.
During the trial, prosecutors say an eyewitness observed Arjun and her ex-husband leaving the Queens home with two grandchildren. The eyewitness asked about the stepdaughter and was told she was in the bathroom.
Prosecutors say the eyewitness called the victim's father who told her to break down the bathroom door. She did and found the girl strangled in the bathtub.
The ex-husband was arrested for obstructing governmental administration. The status of his case wasn't immediately clear.
Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Easy steps to lower power bill during record breaking temperatures
- Savannah River Winds Concert Thursday, May 23
- Safety on the water
- Community support for middle school teacher charged in fight with student
- Florida woman pulls gator from pants during stop
- Pizza for breakfast is healthier than cereal, nutritionist claims
- Pot smokers find caged tiger in abandoned house, Houston police say
- KFC wants you to enjoy romance on a Colonel Sanders bearskin rug this Valentine's Day
- Ax-wielding man wrecks home after thinking wife damaged action figures
- Experts: Sunday is the busiest day of the year for online dating
- Teacher says she was fired for giving students zeroes