MILWAUKEE (AP) - Milwaukee police Chief Alfonso Morales says a body found along a southern Minnesota highway is believed to be that of a missing 2-year-old girl whose father is accused of killing her mother in Milwaukee.
Morales told reporters Saturday that an off-duty public works employee saw something along Highway 218 north of Austin, Minnesota, as he was driving home Friday night. The chief says a child's body was found inside a blanket off the shoulder of the highway.
Morales says the body is believed to be that of 2-year-old Noelani Robinson. He says an autopsy has not been conducted yet, but authorities believe the girl "had been there for quite some time."
The girl's father, Dariaz Higgins, is accused of fatally shooting 24-year-old Sierra Robinson and wounding one of her friends Monday.
Police arrested him Wednesday and say Higgins had been Robinson's pimp. Robinson had recently been living in Las Vegas.
Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension spokesman Bruce Gordon says the body was found in Steele County, Minnesota, south of Minneapolis. He says the Minnesota agency is waiting for formal identification and preliminary autopsy results from the medical examiner.
Authorities had asked "the entire nation" for help finding Noelani after the arrest of the girl's father, who is suspected of fatally shooting her mother in Milwaukee.
Milwaukee police Chief Alfonso Morales said Friday the suspect, Dariaz Higgins, has been providing police with information on the whereabouts of his daughter, but it all has "proven to be untrue."
Death toll rises to 50 in New Zealand...
It's a boy! April the giraffe gives...
- Pizza for breakfast is healthier than cereal, nutritionist claims
- Pot smokers find caged tiger in abandoned house, Houston police say
- KFC wants you to enjoy romance on a Colonel Sanders bearskin rug this Valentine's Day
- Ax-wielding man wrecks home after thinking wife damaged action figures
- Experts: Sunday is the busiest day of the year for online dating
- Teacher says she was fired for giving students zeroes
- Rescued sacrificial rooster terrorizes neighborhood