South Carolina says shipping weapons-grade plutonium is dangerous

South Carolina News
Federal_Plutonium-Nevada_60277-159532.jpg22255850

FILE – In this Nov. 20, 2013 file photo, seen through thick protective glass, shows the area where workers sand-blast the large stainless steel tanks used in the vitrification process to rid them of contaminants at the Defense Waste Processing Facility at the Savannah River Site near Aiken, S.C. South Carolina says Nevada’s demand for […]

RENO, Nev. (AP) – South Carolina says Nevada’s demand for the U.S. government to remove weapons-grade plutonium that was secretly trucked between the two states last year contradicts its claim that moving the radioactive material is dangerous.

Lawyers for South Carolina and the U.S. Energy Department filed their first responses this week to Nevada’s legal challenge in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
 
Nevada appealed after a federal judge refused to temporarily ban any more plutonium shipments to the state.
 
The Trump administration has promised no more plutonium will be shipped to Nevada. But it says the courts have no power to undo the shipment already made from South Carolina to a site north of Las Vegas.
 
South Carolina says that shipping the plutonium again would “repeat the risks” that Nevada fears.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.