BREVARD, N.C. (AP) - BREVARD, N.C. (AP) - Authorities say a South Carolina man died when he tried to rescue his dog at a waterfall in western North Carolina.
News outlets report 42-year-old John Shaffer died Saturday after going over Rainbow Falls in the Pisgah National Forest, just outside Gorges State Park.
Lake Toxaway Fire and Rescue Chief Carmon West says Shaffer was carried over the falls when he jumped into the water to rescue his dog. Crews searched for five hours before recovering his body Saturday afternoon.
West says this is the first death at Rainbow Falls since 2016, when 24-year-old Georgia news anchor Taylor Terrell fell 185 feet from the falls. Terrell was wading in the stream that flows over Rainbow Falls when she lost her footing.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Teacher says she was fired for giving students zeroes
- Rescued sacrificial rooster terrorizes neighborhood
- Ohio man calls police after pig won't stop following him
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect