Two people died and two people were critically injured after a jet crashed at the Greenville Downtown Airport Thursday afternoon.

According to Greenville Police Department spokesperson Donnie Porter, the call about the crash came in around 1:40 p.m. Porter said the plane ran off the runway and crashed.

Greenville County Coroner Jeff Fowler confirmed that two people died following the crash.

Greenville City Fire spokesperson Tristan Johnson confirmed that the two people who died were the pilot and the co-pilot of the plane.

Johnson said that the two people injured in the crash are married and are currently in critical condition.

Greenville Memorial Hospital officials told us that three people were taken to the hospital following the crash.

During a second news conference Thursday, City of Greenville Fire Chief Steve Kovalcik said that one of the three people that were taken to the hospital died at the hospital, and said the other deceased person was still in the crashed jet.

According to Kovalcik, after the plane ran off the runway, there was a small fire. The fire has since been put out.

Kovalcik said the two deceased people — the pilot and the co-pilot — are both men. He said the two  men appeared to have died from injuries related from the crash, but said an autopsy will be performed to confirm their cause of death.

Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board officials are currently en route to the scene to investigate the crash.

South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control officials have also responded to the scene because of fuel that leaked from the plane.

Officials said the fuel leaked off of airport property, but said it has since been contained at Haywood Road. They said some of the fuel was reportedly being absorbed into nearby river banks.

According to the Federal Aviation Administration’s website, the plane is registered to Global Aircraft Acquisitions LLC of Lewes Delaware. 

The plane is a Dassault-Breguet Falcon 50.