HAMPTON COUNTY, S.C. (WJBF) – Agents with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) 53-year old Richard Alexander “Alex” Murdaugh in connection to the shooting incident on September 4th.
Authorities say he conspired with Curtis Edward Smith to assist him in committing suicide for the explicit purpose of allowing a beneficiary to collect life insurance.
Murdaugh was charged with insurance fraud, conspiracy to commit insurance fraud, along with filing a false police report.
He’s booked at the Hampton County Detention Center.
- Murdaugh mystery: Alex Murdaugh to turn himself in on insurance fraud charge
- SLED, coroner open investigation in 2018 death of former Murdaugh housekeeper
- Alex Murdaugh’s attorneys release statement regarding shooting suspect arrest and revelations
- SLED: Alex Murdaugh orchestrated own shooting for $10M life insurance policy, Walterboro man arrested for assisting
- Alex Murdaugh releases statement after Saturday shooting, says he will resign from law firm