AUGUSTA, Ga. (WJBF) – Augusta’s Director of Utilities, Tom Wiedmeier, has passed away due to complications from the coronavirus.
His family tells us he tested positive on Father’s Day weekend and had been fighting the virus ever since.
They say they’re grateful they were able to see him last night, before he died.
Wiedmeier was 59-years-old.
The City of Augusta released the following statement regarding the passing of Wiedmeier:
The City of Augusta mourns the passing of longtime Utilities Director Tom Wiedmeier.
Tom served the city for more than two decades and served as the Utilities Director since 2009.
Tom was a beloved team member, and his commitment to the Augusta community will continue to be an inspiration to those who have worked with him over the years.
Tom’s family is in our thoughts and prayers, and the City of Augusta extends our sincerest condolences to his family, friends and team members.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Out There…Somewhere: “Conduct” a tour of new sculptures
- Trump impeachment trial to begin week of Feb. 8
- Washington County and other rural counties in Georgia see shortage of COVID-19 vaccine
- SLIDESHOW | Inaugural memes of Bernie Sanders: the gift that keeps on giving
- PHOTOS: Baseball’s Hank Aaron through the years
- Walmart expanding COVID-19 vaccine roll out to South Carolina
- $1 billion Mega Millions prize a result of long odds, slow sales
- 10th Avenue shooting under investigation