#UPDATE (10:25 a.m., 07/03/2020) – The driver of the semi-tractor has been identified as 45-year old William J. Leggett, of Big Leaf Circle in Columbia, SC.
He was identified by using dental records.
BARNWELL COUNTY, S.C. (WJBF) – One person is dead following a deadly crash in Barnwell County.
According to South Carolina Highway Patrol, the incident happened around 3:42 Monday morning on US-278 near SC-37.
Reports say the driver of an 18-wheeler tanker truck, ran off the road, hit a ditch, then the rig caught fire.
The driver was pronounced dead at 5:28 a.m. His cause of death has been determined as blunt force trauma with the vehicle fire being a contributing factor.
A forensic anthropologist from Columbia, S.C. has been brought in to assist with identifying the driver.
Count on NewsChannel 6 for more details as they become available.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Federal judge rules in favor of pharmaceutical companies in West Virginia opioid case
- GOP nominee for Illinois governor apologizes after calling for people to ‘move on’ after shooting
- Locals gather in downtown Augusta to celebrate Independence Day
- “It has me on alert, like should I move?” Neighbors react after man is accused of stabbing three people in Grovetown
- What we know about the Highland Park Parade suspect
- RCSO cracking down on DUI’s on July 4 holiday
- Hidden gems of the Augusta area