#UPDATE (10:25 a.m., 07/03/2020) – The driver of the semi-tractor has been identified as 45-year old William J. Leggett, of Big Leaf Circle in Columbia, SC.
He was identified by using dental records.
BARNWELL COUNTY, S.C. (WJBF) – One person is dead following a deadly crash in Barnwell County.
According to South Carolina Highway Patrol, the incident happened around 3:42 Monday morning on US-278 near SC-37.
Reports say the driver of an 18-wheeler tanker truck, ran off the road, hit a ditch, then the rig caught fire.
The driver was pronounced dead at 5:28 a.m. His cause of death has been determined as blunt force trauma with the vehicle fire being a contributing factor.
A forensic anthropologist from Columbia, S.C. has been brought in to assist with identifying the driver.
Count on NewsChannel 6 for more details as they become available.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Hephzibah man charged with rape, child molestation and tampering of evidence
- Brian Laundrie update: Remains found in Florida park identified as Gabby Petito’s fiancé
- CVB funding proposal will face opposition
- Attorneys for SRNS ask Federal Court to dismiss lawsuit from 79 workers
- Georgia Cyber Center hosting international summit
- Cold Case Project | Tammy Kingery
- Beekeeping therapy helps Augusta VA veterans battle PTSD, anxiety