AUGUSTA, Ga. (WJBF) – Pokémon Go is driving up business in Downtown Augusta.
Since the release of Nintendo’s revolutionary mobile application, some local business owners are seeing a spike in sales.
Some businesses are using an in-game extensions called “Lure Modules,” which essentially make that specific location a “hot-spot” for Pokémon and lures in customers. Other businesses, such as Farmhaus Burgers in Augusta were just made destinations by the creators of the game. Either way customers are lured in, which is great news for business owners.
At the corner of 12th Street and Broad Street Farmhaus Burgers might look like a normal restaurant, but it wasn’t the food that attracted some customers here.
“So what brought you here?” Asked WJBF NewsChannel 6’s Stefany Bornman.
“There’s a gym here and Downtown [Augusta] is crazy for Poké stops.” Zach Gray, a Pokémon Trainer, told WJBF NewsChannel 6.
Gray says since he got into Pokémon Go, he’s spent just about every evening in Downtown Augusta. On Tuesday, he and a friend posted up in front of Farmhaus Burgers. Gray says Farmhaus is an established Pokémon Gym where Pokémon Trainers battle it out and the winner reigns over that particular location. That is until the next Pokémon Trainer wins and takes over.
While out catching the virtual creatures, Gray says he’s been lured into making a few purchases. “I’ve definitely sat down and felt obligated to buy stuff from some places,” he said.
Farmhaus Burgers General Manager, Derwin Lee says since the game took-off he’s noticed business has spiked.
“What’s happening is those guest who are coming… are buying things like milk shakes and burgers,” said Lee. “Things that they’ve never had before because of this, so we’re actually lucky that we were selected to be a Poké Gym.”
Lee says at first some employees couldn’t figure out why there were more customers or why most of them were keeping a close eye on their smart phones. Very quickly on the General Manager realized what a great business tactic the game possesses, to catch them all. Customers that is!
“It should be up to the downtown businesses to really take advantage of this. To embrace what is going on, embrace all these new faces, all these people.” Lee told WJBF NewsChannel 6.Pokémon Go Local Deals:
- Whole Foods uses Lure Modules during lunch and dinner hours
- Mellow Mushroom Augusta is offering 15% off to players
- Mellow Mushroom Evans is offering 15% off to players on July 20th. Dine in only.
- Whiskey Bar Kitchen will serve you a $2 Pokémon-themed drink, if you can prove you caught a Pokémon there.
- 2nd and Charles will give you 10% off your purchase if you prove you caught a Pokémon there.
- Fuse will serve you a $2 Pokémon-themed drink, if you can prove you caught a Pokémon there.
- Dairy Queen will give you a free Blizzard if you become the Pokemon Gym leader.