#UPDATE (WJBF) – One lane is back open following the incident this morning. Per the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office: A 1998 Freightliner tractor trailer driven by Arencibia Blanco Richart of Miami, Florida hauling a load of lumber was merging onto I-20 eastbound from the rest area.
A 2004 Freightliner tractor trailer chip truck driven by Simon Boatwright of Augusta, Georgia was traveling eastbound in the right lane.
Dash video shows the 1998 Freightliner was traveling in the right lane for 8-9 seconds before being struck from the rear by the 2004 Freightliner.
Richart was taken to Doctors Hospital with minor injuries.
COLUMBIA COUNTY (WJBF) – The McDuffie County Sheriff’s Office is shutting down I-20 Eastbound traffic at Exit 175 in order to head off traffic funneling into the scene where an 18-wheeler carrying wood lost its cargo near the Harlem-Appling Exit at Mile Marker 183.
Currently, all lanes of I-120 Eastbound between Exits 175 and 183, stretching across the McDuffie County border into Columbia County, are shut down due to this accident.
Two counties are currently working the scene. Drivers are advised to avoid the area.
No injuries reported.
Officials hope to have everything cleared up by 11:00 a.m.
This is a developing story.
- Teen returns home after Christmas Eve heart transplant
- Live Vipir 6 Forecast Saturday January 16th, 2021
- President-elect Biden announces picks for science team as security tightens ahead of inauguration
- Burke County holds peace and unity parade
- Man arrested in D.C. with unregistered weapon ahead of Presidential Inauguration