TEXAS (ABC News) – A father of two was shot and killed by an assailant he was chasing on March 8, 2020 at the Deerbrook Mall in Humble, Texas, when officers were alerted to a disturbance in the mall’s parking lot of a man pulling a gun on a woman he was with.
The suspect allegedly took off on foot and Marksberry began chasing him in an effort to aid the police. But when Marksberry caught up with the suspect, the man fired on and hit the father of two.
Officers then began firing on the suspect who had just shot Marksberry, striking him as well.
Marksberry was immediately transported to Kingwood Hospital where both he and the man who shot him later died from the injuries they suffered in the shootout.
“I know he had a heart of gold and he helped anywhere he could but today just shouldn’t have been the day,” said Jacqueline Marksberry, the victim’s mother, through tears.
“I just miss him,” she continued. “And now I’m not going to get the phone call every day that I always got … My baby’s gone.”
Marksberry was a son, a brother, a husband and a father to two young children, just 3 and 8-years-old.
“He was the best father anybody could ever want,” his mother said. “He loved his children. He always went out, done things with them, played ball … I’m never going to see him again.”
- Man fatally shot 7-year-old niece while making music video, police say
- Body count from drug cartel wars earns Mexican cities label of ‘most violent in the world’
- City traffic leaders look to make improvements on Robert C. Daniel Jr. Parkway
- Woman accidentally mistakes nail glue for eye drops
- JENNIE: Columbia County Spring Fair brings fun for all, and a special boost for Augusta’s Ronald McDonald House