BURKE COUNTY, Ga (WJBF) – One person is dead after a fatal accident Thursday morning in Burke County.
The accident happened on Highway 24 at Stripp Lane just before 7:45 a.m. Three cars were involved.
The drivers of all three vehicles involved were transported to Burke Medical Hospital.
Investigators tell us that 40-year-old Shalonda Free-Gardner died as a result of her injuries.
We’re told she was a para-professional at Blakeney Elementary School.
The Burke County Sheriff’s Office offers their condolences to the friends and family of Shalonda as well as their school system family.
Amy Nunnally, the PIO for Burke County Public Schools gave the following statement about Shalonda Free-Gardener,
“The Burke County School community is deeply saddened by the sudden loss of Shalonda Free-Gardner. Ms. Free was an outstanding paraprofessional at Blakeney Elementary School who cared very deeply about the success and well-being of each and every one of her students. Our thoughts and prayers are with her friends and family.”
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Protests continue in downtown Augusta
- Man with altered mental status missing in Augusta
- Live VIPIR 6 Forecast June 6, 2020
- Total number of cases of COVID-19 in CSRA, SC & GA
- Augusta Market organizers target August to open, pop-up markets to start June 21
- NFL Commissioner Goodell encourages players to ‘peacefully protest,’ admits ‘we were wrong’
- Strom Thurmond High School class of 2020 graduates
- Michael Jordan, Jordan Brand announce $100 million donation over next 10 years