GROVETOWN, Ga (WJBF) – Crews are on the scene of a fatal accident involving an 18-wheeler and a Fulton County Sheriff’s Office vehicle on I-20 in Grovetown.
The incident happened on Interstate-20 Eastbound at Exit 190, Grovetown exit.
The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office tells us that two Fulton County Deputies were killed as a result of the accident.
Fulton County’s Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Jimmy Carter has identified them as Deputy Kenny Ingram, a 15-year-veteran of the department, and Deputy Anthony White, a 6-year-veteran of the department.
We’re told the two were enroute to pick up at least one prisoner for transport.
Chief Deputy Carter tells us chaplains have been deployed to the headquarters in the Fulton County Courthouse, the county jail, the law enforcement division to which the two deputies were assigned and to the homes of the fallen deputy’s families.
“The loss has deeply affected most if not all of the employees within the sheriff’s office.”
Also happening on I-20 in Columbia County, deputies are responding to an accident at Mile Marker 181.
This is a developing story.
- SC Senator asks for Augusta University’s help to fight COVID-19
- New Mayor elected in Williston
- Peace and Unity Parade happening in Waynesboro
- $1,400 stimulus checks: Here’s where we stand halfway through January
- Residents report long wait times for setting up appointments for vaccines; more workers expected to take calls