TRENTON, SC (WJBF) - Bettis Preparatory Academy, A new science, technology, engineering, and mathematics public charter school will open its doors for students in Trenton, SC for the 2018 school year. The school will serve grades K-5 its first year and then add an additional grade each year through 8th grade.
Bettis Prep received approval from the Board of Trustees of the South Carolina Public Charter School District in April 2017. During its first year, the school will enroll 228 students with 12 regular classroom teachers, two per grade level and a special education teacher.
Dr. Myrtis Brightharp-Walker will serve as the schools Principal. The curriculum will instill vial skills needed to become successful in the fields of STEM and technology.
"When we looked at where our children need to be according to the South Carolina profile for the 2020 graduate that was put out by the state, our children weren't going to meet that. In order to get them to think creatively and critically we need to focus on science and math," Walker said.
The school will accept students on a first-come, first-served basis by the MAy 1st application deadline. Bus transportation will be provided for students living in Johnston, Edgefield, and Trenton. For Enrollment information visit Bettis Prep Academy.
- Rescued sacrificial rooster terrorizes neighborhood
- Ohio man calls police after pig won't stop following him
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop