Augusta, GA (WJBF) - After a week of covering politics, we are going to put that on hold to tell you about some new places to eat in Downtown Augusta because everyone can get behind food!
On Wednesday, Groucho’s Deli started serving customers and whipping up catering orders from their new location on the corner of 8th and Broad.
“We've had a very steady lunch crowd and dinner crowd so I’m extremely fortunate for that,” says store owner Cameron Spears.
Spears is only 26-years-old and a local guy. He is an Academy of Richmond graduate who is excited to be home.
“I'm really happy to be part of the neighborhood with a few theaters right next door to me. All the development coming down here—I think it's all great and I'm excited to see what the future holds!” Spears says.
Saturday is the grand opening for Ubora Coffee Roasters. The new spot is owned by active duty military guys with a passion for the good stuff.
“[The owner] traveled the world. He went to different farms. He did his research,” manager Nora Moisa explains. ”We are getting our coffee straight from the farms—Ethiopia, Rwanda, Costa Rica, Honduras.”
You can also bring these coffees sourced from all over the world home with you to brew in your own kitchen.
“We are packing it and selling the coffee as whole bean or even if you need it as grounded, we will grind it for you,” Moisa points out.
A local restaurant will soon open their second location. Laziza Mediterranean Grill is currently in Evans and they are hoping to open their downtown store by the spring.
Owner Nader Khatib explains some of the things you can expect. “Beer and wine bar, we're doing a café, we're doing breakfast service Sunday brunch, so coffee espresso all that good stuff,” Khatib describes. Their Evans location will soon move to a bigger space in the same shopping center and will mirror the changes coming to downtown Augusta.
Downtown Augusta is not the only area getting some good new spots to chow down. We gotta give Columbia County some love also. Cork and Flame is a new fine dining restaurant on Evans to Lock Rd. and they have been open for a couple months.
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- More grant money to juvenile court expands therapy for teens and parents before doing jail time
- Edgefield County murder arrest
- A woman is in jail accused of killing her husband.
- Aiken County Board of Education's agenda before the holiday break
- Teacher says she was fired for giving students zeroes
- Rescued sacrificial rooster terrorizes neighborhood
- Ohio man calls police after pig won't stop following him
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect