AUGUSTA, Ga. (WJBF) - - Music lovers in the CSRA can expect a change in the way they enjoy entertainment in Augusta. This comes after recent news on the closure of The Country Club and Sky City.
"Sandwiches, soups and salads with a primary focus on catering and quick service restaurant. We're excited to be downtown," explained Cameron Spears with the new Groucho's Deli.
We told you this week that a chain deli is making its way to downtown Augusta. But every win has a loss. Augusta lost two of its well known music venues; The Country Club on Washington Road, which brought several bands and even national artists including Snoop Dog and Sky City.
But Tommy Wafford told NewsChannel 6 the new Garden City Social, opening in the same location as Sky City, isn't a take away, yet a different take.
Wafford said, "I think the misconception here is that there is not live music here anymore and that's not true. Amanda Shires is still happening on schedule. We still have a very large stage in the back, a full PA and light system and we're going to be doing some Westobou concerts here."
The concept comes from other places Wafford said the new cyber community enjoyed with an outdoor feeling inside, complete with a beer garden.
"Our concert series will now be more concert in the park with singer-songwriter, those types of things," he said. "We will be really focusing on Thursday night being our date night night where you can do movies in the park and you can cook in the park."
You can catch live music at other spots downtown such as Metro and Stillwater where many acoustic artists shine and at South Bound. And as more traffic fills downtown Augusta, Wafford addded he looks forward to people walking through his doors to enjoy every moment.
"There are 15 other places within a stones throw that you can have a PBR and we didn't want to do that. We wanted to have a place where we could capitalize on the new employment of cyber right behind us and have all the high end wage earners looking for a place to do happy hour," he explained.
Garden City Social opens during First Friday excitement and Border Bash at 7:00 p.m. and will last until 2:00 a.m.
Photojournalist: Gary Hipps
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- More grant money to juvenile court expands therapy for teens and parents before doing jail time
- Edgefield County murder arrest
- Big Game Bound: Monday Night Madness
- Charleston-based coast guard cutter intercepts more than 90,000 lbs of cocaine
- Teacher says she was fired for giving students zeroes
- Rescued sacrificial rooster terrorizes neighborhood
- Ohio man calls police after pig won't stop following him
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect