COLUMBIA COUNTY, Ga. (WJBF) – A Richmond County Sheriff’s Office Deputy is off the job and facing charges after being arrested in Columbia County for allegedly violating a protective order.
The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office confirms with NewsChannel 6 that 51-year-old John Sharkey was terminated from his position on Thursday, December 3, for ‘conduct unbecoming and criminal acts’. He was cited for Fleeing/Attempting to Elude and Reckless Driving as a result of the pursuit initiated by Columbia County which entered Richmond County.
Sharkey was arrested in Columbia County the next day, December 4, and charged with Aggravated Stalking. Sharkey reportedly violated a Family Violence Protective Order placed on November 24 on behalf of his wife.
In November, Sharkey was reported missing and suicidal before being found later. He reportedly committed himself to a facility for treatment, at the time.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Acuña becomes first 40-70 player, Albies lifts Braves over Cubs 6-5 in 10 innings
- Restrooms at Diamond Lakes back open after repair
- Golden Apple: Amber Rahman
- STABLE 4WARD childcare program ends in Georgia
- Gynecological Cancer patients get treated to a spa day
- Cornhole Classic to benefit Via Cognitive Health
- Proposed Augusta environmental justice ordinance is blasted in report
- More than 1/3 of McCormick County sees children in poverty, but an organization has come to the rescue