AUGUSTA, Ga. (WJBF) – The man charged in the murder of an Augusta Code Enforcement Officer has been booked into the Webster Detention Center.
65-year-old Smitty Melton is charged with Murder and Possession of a Firearm in the Commission of a Crime.
As of 1 p.m. Monday, Melton is now being held in the Webster Detention Center. Melton was apprehended in Aiken County, South Carolina where he was held until extradited back to Richmond County.
Last week, Code Enforcement Officer Charles Case was on 13th Avenue to re-hang a condemnation sigh on property owned by Smitty Melton. Case was alone.
Deputies say Melton shot and killed him before fleeing the scene.
Count on NewsChannel 6 for more details on this story as they happen.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Thanksgiving meals served at Bible Deliverance Temple after double homicide Monday in Harrisburg
- How to safely store Thanksgiving leftovers
- WATCH: Southeastern Stream Live Week 10
- Local church giving away 550 hot meals to senior citizens for Thanksgiving
- Alabama mail carrier surprises birthday boy with a gift
- Live VIPIR 6 Forecast Thanksgiving Day November 26, 2020
- 19 Thanksgiving foods that are not safe for your pets
- Marijuana Medicine for Autism