AUGUSTA, Ga. (WJBF) – The Richmond County Coroner’s Office is investigating the death of a child.
Coroner Mark Bowen tells us the office is currently looking into the death of 3-year-old Candace Burke.
We’re told the child was transported from her home on the 2200 block of Albermarle Drive to Augusta University Medical Center where she died on Wednesday, December 16, at 5:34 p.m.
The child’s death has been ruled suspicious. Her body has been sent to the GBI lab for an autopsy.
At this time 26-year-old Daquelvin Brighthop is charged with Murder and first degree cruelty to children.
Warrants state that Brighthop allegedly punched the child in her chest and abdomen multiple times, causing a lacerated liver, head trauma and bruising.
Count on NewsChannel 6 for more details as they become available.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Biden picks transgender woman as assistant health secretary
- California becomes first state to top 3 million virus cases
- Mets general manager admits sending explicit texts and images to female reporter, report says
- Thief berated mom for leaving kid in car he stole, police say
- House fire leaves Ellis Street home destroyed
- President Trump’s final hours in office expected to be non-traditional
- Biden to block Trump’s plan to lift COVID-19 European travel restrictions
- ‘It has been the greatest honor:’ first lady Melania Trump releases farewell message