NAUGATUCK, Conn. (WTNH) — A Connecticut couple accused of forcing a child to sleep in a locked closet, kneel on tacks and drink hot sauce has been arrested on child abuse charges.
Police said 29-year-old Kaitlin Elizabeth Baptiste was aware that her husband, 31-year-old Kevin Grant, who is the child’s stepfather, was forcing him to sleep in a locked closet for several months and subjecting him to physical punishments.
In addition to kneeling on tacks, the punishments included drinking hot sauce until the child vomited, police said.
Grant was arrested Friday and charged with risk of injury to a child, assault, intentional cruelty to persons, disorderly conduct, and reckless endangerment. He was held on a $25,000 bond.
Baptiste was also arrested and charged with risk of injury to a child, conspiracy to commit/intentional cruelty to persons, conspiracy to commit/disorderly conduct and reckless endangerment. She was held on a $10,000 bond.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- CDC considering shortening quarantine time for COVID-19 exposure
- How to cook safely this Thanksgiving
- Isolated storms for Thanksgiving. – Check here for your forecast
- One historic Augusta restaurant following city’s mask ordinance while offering holiday meal for families
- Faith leaders and ‘Black Voters Matter’ give away hundreds of Thanksgiving meals and register people to vote
- Trump: Former aide Michael Flynn ‘granted a full pardon’
- President-elect Biden delivers Thanksgiving address
- Ga. Sec. of State: “My family voted for Trump and he threw us under the bus anyway”