An Augusta man is behind bars after a standoff with the Richmond County SWAT team.
34-year-old Marcus Gifford was taken into custody Thursday night following a long standoff with authorities. He faces a number of charges.
Investigators came to a home on the 500 block of Blum Street around 5:20 p.m. to serve an arrest warrant on Gifford. When investigators asked him to step outside, he refused.
Gifford was reportedly in possession of a gun and refused to let two children, ages 2 and 2 months old, leave the house.
The SWAT team arrived and began negotiations. Gifford eventually released the children but continued to make threats and and fire shots at deputies.
He later surrendered and was taken into custody around 9:50 p.m.
Gifford faces the following charges:
- Order to Show Cause (Felony)
- Possession of MDMA with Intent to Distribute
- Possession of Cocaine with Intent to Distribute
Gifford was also charged with:
- Aggravated Assault on a Police Officer
- False Imprisonment
- Cruelty to Children in 1st Degree
- Possession of a Firearm during the Commission of a Crime
- Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon