OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Ralph and Dorothy Kohler are celebrating their wedding anniversary for the 85th time.
He was just 17 and she was 16 when they tied the knot on Sept. 17, 1935, at the Burt County Courthouse in Tekamah, Nebraska, reported WOWT-TV.
Ralph credits longevity in life and marriage to their healthy habits; neither has ever drank alcohol or smoked.
Each grew to enjoy their spouse’s passions. Ralph took up ballroom dancing and Dorothy took up shooting clay targets, becoming a trap shooting national champion in 1952.
“Everybody said it would never last,” Ralph said.
The pair, who now live in California, claims to be “America’s oldest, longest-living married couple,” according to WOWT-TV.
- Who won the Trump-Biden debate? 6 key moments from the final showdown
- Kid Rock, golfer John Daly asked to mask up in the audience at final presidential debate
- Man arrested in North Carolina in May accused of threatening to kill Joe Biden
- Hurricane Epsilon loses some strength as it will stay out to sea. – Check out the latest.
- New Augusta Transit Center now open