CSRA (WJBF) – Cooling Centers in Richmond County are open today, July 30th, from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
The Augusta Fire Department recommends people who do not have access to air conditioned spaces should visit one of the Cooling Centers in the area.
|Bernie Ward Center||1941 Lumpkin Rd.|
|May Park||622 4th Street|
The City of Grovetown has marked Liberty Park at 1040 Newmantown Road in Grovetown as a “Cooling Center”.
Hours of operation are Monday-Friday from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m., Saturday from 11 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and Sunday from 1 p.m. until 6 p.m.
Cold water will be available. For more information, residents may call the Help and Information Line at 1-833-GO-GTOWN (1-833-464-8696).
The City is also holding its annual “Fan Drive”.
New and gently used fans are currently being accepted so they can be given to those in need.
People can drop off their fans at City Hall which is located at 103 Old Wrightsboro Road in Grovetown.
Residents may also pick up a free fan at City Hall.
Here’s additional precautions people should take:
- Stay indoors as much as possible and limit exposure to the sun.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Dress in loose-fitting, lightweight, and light-colored clothing that covers as much skin as possible.
- Never leave children or pets in closed vehicles.
- Avoid strenuous work during the warmest part of the day. If you have to be outside, take frequent breaks in the shade or air conditioned vehicle and drink plenty of water. Never work alone, use the buddy system, in case you start to feel sick.
- Check on family, friends, and neighbors that do not have air conditioning.