AUGUSTA, Ga. (WJBF) - 55 people will lose their jobs after an Augusta mill announced it's closing.
On Monday, Georgia-Pacific announced it will permanently close its Augusta tissue mill on Cookie Road.
Officials say the decision was driven by several things including increased competition in the tissue business.
Employees will continue to be paid through June 29th.
There's a chance they could be relocated to other GP facilities in the area and region.
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- More grant money to juvenile court expands therapy for teens and parents before doing jail time
- Edgefield County murder arrest
- Burke County accident blocks traffic on Highway 25
- Drop-in Thanksgiving lunch held in New Ellenton, South Carolina
- Teacher says she was fired for giving students zeroes
- Rescued sacrificial rooster terrorizes neighborhood
- Ohio man calls police after pig won't stop following him
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect