UPDATE: The Burke County Sheriff’s Office has been notified of a new threat via email was sent to the high school principal.
This is a warning that I am plan to shoot the whole entire school up tomorrow I already haveUnknown Shooter
my plan figured out but see you and the dead students tomorrow.
Authorities say the email was sent on Thursday, December 2, at 4:20 p.m. and was read by the principal
at 9:08 p.m. “The BCSO is working with BPS to ensure a safe learning environment for our students, staff,
faculty and community,” the sheriff’s office said in a statement “We are actively working the case and investigating the IP address to determine its origin,” it added.
The BCSO is offering a $2,500 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person(s)
responsible for the threats.
Meanwhile, Burke County High School will be closed on Friday, December 3, according to school district leaders. No BCHS students should report to school Friday. “Additional precautionary measures are in place in all Burke County Public Schools, and the BCSO will continue to provide added support,” they added.
WAYNESBORO, G.A. (WJBF) – A soft lockdown is in effect at Burke County High School after threatening social media posts circulating amongst students raised some concerns with parents.
Investigators say the student who’s responsible for these posts was taken into custody Thursday and has been charged with the disruption of a public school, and has since been released to their parents.
“It was terrifying, so I didn’t know if something happened to my grandson or what,” said Michael Shipp.
“All i know is somebody text me and told me things were going on so I came and got my kid,” said Eva Logan, a parent.
Deputies standing by outside of Burke County High school after several anonymous posts were made on the social media app Yik-Yak threatening a shooting at the school.
“I didn’t know about it, so I went to the bathroom and a boy told me that somebody was talking about shooting up the school this morning,” said Ethan Clay.
Burke County Sheriff Alfonzo Williams says the posts started Wednesday. He says they started by mentioning a fight at the Sonic, which is near the school. Deputies later learned that the fight’s location was moved to the school. Thursday morning more posts were circulating from Instagram where a student was seen posing with what looked like guns and the caption of the photo alluded to a school shooting. Parents became aware of that post and called the police.
“It’s the parents they need to start checking and seeing what they kids is going online talking about they see stuff on tv and now it’s here in our county”
Sheriff Williams says so far these threats have not been deemed credible.
“We’ve had some parents that have concerns about the threats and that’s a natural reaction, we have some folks that just as we act in an abundance of caution, but we certainly don’t want parents to panic,” said Sheriff Williams.
The sheriff says the investigation into who made the threats is ongoing. But since some of them were done anonymously, it will be difficult to pursue.
“But we are working we are in communication with the company we are learning their compliance rules and what they might have that will help us identify the persons responsible.”