According to Captain Steve Morris with the Columbia County Sheriff's Office, the driver, Josef S. Coefield, 41, of Union City GA, was traveling westbound on Columbia Road.
The vehicle exited the north shoulder of the roadway and the driver over corrected causing the vehicle to travel across the roadway and exit the south shoulder of the roadway.
The front of the vehicle then struck an embankment.
Coefield was not wearing a seatbelt and was transported to Doctors Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Columbia Road remains closed at this time.
COLUMBIA COUNTY, Ga.- Officials are on the scene of an accident on Columbia Road in Columbia County.
We are told that the accident involves an 18-wheeler and has blocked both lanes of Columbia Road near Range Road. That is just east of Appling Harlem Road
Officials have reported some diesel spilled due to the accident and it could take several hours to be cleaned up.
No word yet of any injuries.
If your commute takes you to this area, you are asked to find an alternate route.
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Georgia's hands-free law now in effect
- Woman arrested after her vehicle hits three children on an ATV in Burke County
- Burke County deputy crashes patrol car in single vehicle accident
- Inmate Found Dead
- Rescued sacrificial rooster terrorizes neighborhood
- Ohio man calls police after pig won't stop following him
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop