(ABC News)/(WTNH) - - Angel Perez is an avid crabber. On July 2nd, he was crabbing in New Jersey at Matt's
Landing near the Morris River. Hours later, his right leg began to swell. Then, it quickly got worse.
Photos taken by the family show the discoloration and swelling. He is now in the ICU at Cooper as the infection spread to all 4 limbs.
The family said doctors blame a bacteria called Vibrio. It's in a group commonly known as flesh-eating bacteria. Vibrio is found in brackish and [seawater], especially during the hot summer months.
The family is now warning others.
The New Jersey Health Department stated if anyone has open cuts or scrapes, it's best to stay out of brackish water. Also, anyone with liver disease or a weakened immune system should also avoid eating raw shellfish because the bacteria can also be spread through food.
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- More grant money to juvenile court expands therapy for teens and parents before doing jail time
- Edgefield County murder arrest
- Instagram cracks down on fake likes, follows, and comments from accounts using third-party apps
- Early morning roadblock and possible fatality on Storm Branch Road by Silver Bluff Road
- Teacher says she was fired for giving students zeroes
- Rescued sacrificial rooster terrorizes neighborhood
- Ohio man calls police after pig won't stop following him
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect