WASHINGTON (AP) – President Donald Trump is preparing to invoke emergency powers as the country struggles to contain the coronavirus outbreak.
This is according to two people familiar with the planning who spoke on condition of anonymity.
It is still unclear precisely what mechanism Trump would use to free up additional federal resources for testing and treatment as well as help those struggling with the economic impact.
Trump is holding a news conference at the White House at 3 p.m. This comes as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the Trump administration are laboring to finish agreement on a coronavirus aid package.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Trump receives third nomination for Nobel Peace Prize
- Bodycam video shows the scene after the Breonna Taylor shooting
- Coronavirus surge: When will the fall COVID-19 spike hit?
- History of presidential debates
- Multiple Microsoft services go down across U.S.
- Gov. McMaster: counties around SRS should receive ‘majority’ of funding
- Another federal judge orders stop to Postal Service cuts
- Where you live could impact your colon cancer risk