AUGUSTA, Ga. (WJBF)– From an Oktoberfest weekend to visits from former pastors, a centennial celebration is underway for the Lutheran Church of the Resurrection, located at 825 Greene Street in downtown Augusta.
The church actually has its beginnings in 1859, when a group of German immigrants started The “German Lutheran” church, St Matthews. The next generation of English-speaking Lutherans decided they wanted the services in English. A rift developed and eventually the “English Lutheran” church broke away and became Holy Trinity.
It took more than 40 years and several attempts, but in 1921, the churches reunited – in essence, Resurrected.
The Rev. David Hunter is the pastor of the church. He joins Jennie for a look at some of the activities planned to celebrate the big anniversary.