#UPDATE| 1:40pm | January 29, 2020 – The South Carolina Highway Patrol has informed the driver of the dump truck has died.
Aiken County Coroner Darryl Ables has identified the driver as 60-year-old Relferd R. Lanier Jr.
Lanier was pronounced dead at 10:17 at Augusta University Medical Center.
The Coroner’s release states that Lanier was driving a dump truck west on Williston Road with the truck bed extended. The bed struck the Atomic Road overpass, causing the truck to overturn, ejecting Lanier.
An autopsy is scheduled for Friday in Newberry, S.C.
AIKEN COUNTY, Sc (WJBF) – South Carolina Highway Patrol is working an accident with injuries in Aiken County.
A dump truck has rolled over and EMS is on the scene. SCHP says the tandem life of the truck arose without the drivers knowledge. The driver of the dump truck was taken to the hospital. No word on those injuries.
It happened around 5:48 a.m. on Beech Island Avenue and Atomic Road.
We’re told the overpass of Highway 278 is closed due to the crash causing delays.
NewsChannel 6 has a crew on the way to the scene, we’ll bring you more information when it becomes available.
- Here’s how Biles’ withdrawals impact US gymnastics team
- American Finke takes gold in men’s 800 free Olympic debut
- CDC reinstates mask policy indoors after surge in delta variant cases
- Ron Popeil, prodigious inventor and infomercial king, dies at 86
- Golden guy: USA’s Caeleb Dressel wins 100m freestyle