COLUMBIA COUNTY, Ga. (WJBF) – UPDATE: One person has been arrested by Georgia State Patrol in connection with the deadly accident.
The driver of a tractor trailer, 26-year-old Royce Kaleb Smith, was heading eastbound into slowing traffic. The driver hit the back of a Toyota Rav4 driven by 54-year-old Brenda Anderson of Grovetown. The tractor trailer continued driving down the right shoulder of the road after hitting the Rav4 and proceeded to hit seven more cars.
Brenda Anderson, the driver of the Toyota Rav4, was pronounced dead on the scene.
According to the Georgia State Patrol, Smith is a trucker from Salem, AL. The truck he was driving was registered to Ryno Trucking, Inc., based out of Clearwater, FL.
Smith was arrested for the following:
- Following too closely
- Too fast for conditions
- Homicide by vehicle in the 2nd degree
COLUMBIA COUNTY, Ga. (WJBF) – The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office confirms deputies are responding to an accident along I-20 Eastbound at Mile Marker 181.
We’re told the accident involves a dump truck and a small passenger vehicle.
One person is confirmed to have died.
Avoid the area if possible. There are multiple other accidents involved.
This is the second accident in that area today. Crews also responded to a deadly accident involving a Fulton County police vehicle and an 18-wheeler near Grovetown.
Count on NewsChannel 6 for more details as they become available.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- City of Augusta hosts annual holiday celebration
- U.S. Senator Jon Ossoff and VA Augusta address chemotherapy drug shortage
- Four adults, two juveniles arrested after home invasion in Burke Co.
- Christmas Tree fire safety tips from Doctors Hospital, Augusta Fire Dept.
- Maggie Jayne’s Snoballs owner talks about community support from over the years
- PGA Golfer Luke List gives $250,000 to Children’s Hospital after they saved his son’s life 2 years prior
- Augusta’s ‘best in business’ honored at luncheon
- Sanderlin Greenhouses celebrates 50 years, thanks community for support