COLUMBIA COUNTY, Ga. (WJBF) – UPDATE: One person has been arrested by Georgia State Patrol in connection with the deadly accident.
The driver of a tractor trailer, 26-year-old Royce Kaleb Smith, was heading eastbound into slowing traffic. The driver hit the back of a Toyota Rav4 driven by 54-year-old Brenda Anderson of Grovetown. The tractor trailer continued driving down the right shoulder of the road after hitting the Rav4 and proceeded to hit seven more cars.
Brenda Anderson, the driver of the Toyota Rav4, was pronounced dead on the scene.
According to the Georgia State Patrol, Smith is a trucker from Salem, AL. The truck he was driving was registered to Ryno Trucking, Inc., based out of Clearwater, FL.
Smith was arrested for the following:
- Following too closely
- Too fast for conditions
- Homicide by vehicle in the 2nd degree
COLUMBIA COUNTY, Ga. (WJBF) – The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office confirms deputies are responding to an accident along I-20 Eastbound at Mile Marker 181.
We’re told the accident involves a dump truck and a small passenger vehicle.
One person is confirmed to have died.
Avoid the area if possible. There are multiple other accidents involved.
This is the second accident in that area today. Crews also responded to a deadly accident involving a Fulton County police vehicle and an 18-wheeler near Grovetown.
Count on NewsChannel 6 for more details as they become available.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Residents report long wait times for setting up appointments for vaccines; more workers expected to take calls
- Vaccine registration issues in rural South Carolina
- Sen. Lindsey Graham urges politicians to stop the second impeachment of President Trump
- Housing shortage impacting buyers in Augusta
- Federal student loan payment pause is coming to an end, Biden Administration’s plan: what you need to know
- US now says no evidence of ‘kill capture teams’ at Capitol
- Security heightens around US Capitol as Inauguration Day draws closer
- The Terminator is coming: Packers prepare for Aaron Donald