WASHINGTON, Ga. (WJBF) – UPDATE: The derailment site has not yet been reopened. Workers were able to clear cars and equipment from tracks by 11:00 A.M.
Since high waters are receding, workers have discovered more damage to the tracks. Crews will work through the night and hope to resume traffic tomorrow afternoon or in the evening.
A Norfolk Southern train derailed at 11:30 a.m. Thursday outside of Riddleville, Ga. in Washington County.
Crews say 28 cars derailed from washouts on the track. The westbound train had 158 cars.
No injuries were reported. Recovery teams have been on site all day and evening. The area is expected to be cleared for Friday.
LATEST CSRA NEWS
- Man, pregnant woman injured after someone opens fire on car
- Augusta mayor wants no Sheriff’s Office cut
- Local ‘Beetlejuice house’ returns for Halloween season
- Murphey Middle School transitions to online learning due to increased COVID activity
- Richmond County man arrested for destroying campaign signs with a knife