AUGUSTA, Ga. (WJBF) – UPDATE: Richmond County Sheriff’s Office believes the possible human remains first spotted in the Augusta Canal near the Lakeshore Loop bridge around 5 p.m. today may be a medical use human skull that was discarded.
Coroner Mark Bowen confirms that the skull found is believed to be for medical purposes and appears to have some type of writing on it. The scene has been cleared, and foul play is not suspected at this time.
A closer inspection of the skull is expected to be performed tomorrow.
Coroner Mark Bowen is on the scene of what is being called a suspicious situation near downtown Augusta.
NewsChannel 6 crews on the scene say deputies have blocked Lake Shore Loop Drive all the way to Milledge Road in the Harrisburg Community because of a suspicious situation near the Lake Shore Loop Bridge.
Count on NewsChannel 6 for more information on this developing investigation
LATEST NEWS STORIES
- Watch: Mechanics rescue kitten stuck in dashboard of car
- First man cured of HIV infection now has terminal cancer
- One of last living Tuskegee Airmen celebrates 102nd birthday
- Teen charged in Kenosha shootings fights extradition
- Giant rat wins animal hero award for sniffing out landmines