#UPDATE | March 16, 2023 (WJBF) – On March 15th at 4:57p.m., Beech Island Volunteer Fire Department and Jackson Volunteer Fire Department received a notification of multiple brush fires along a 6.09 mile stretch of railroad track.
Responding agencies included:
- Beech Island Volunteer Fire Department
- Jackson Volunteer Fire Department
- Silver Bluff Volunteer Fire Department
- New Ellenton Volunteer Fire Department
- Sage Mill Fire Department
- Langley Fire Department
- Midland Valley Fire Department
- Belvedere Volunteer Fire Department
- South Carolina Forestry Commission
- CSX and Aiken County Dispatch Center
A total of 47 personnel responded with 7 Brush trucks, 6 Engines, 1 all terrain utility vehicle, 1 Rescue unit and 3 South Carolina Forestry Dozers.
At this time all fires are contained.
AIKEN COUNTY, S.C. (WJBF) — Multiple fire companies and the South Carolina Forestry Commission are responding to fires ignited by sparks from a train along Old Jackson Highway between Jackson and Beech Island.
According to the South Carolina Forestry Commission, fires occurred along an approximately three mile stretch in the vicinity of Foreman Road. The Forestry Commission currently has three tractor plow units working to contain the fires, and one fire management officer is on scene.
As of 8:30 p.m., about half of the fires are contained and officials are continuing to work to contain the others.
Count on WJBF NewsChannel 6 for updates on this developing story.