One child dead, two injured after being electrocuted at Fleming Park


CLICK HERE to visit the Go Fund Me set up for Melquan Robbinson’s family.

The Richmond County Coroner’s Office is investigating the death of 12-year-old, who was electrocuted at Fleming Park on Lumpkin Road. 

Melquan Kwame Robinson was playing football at the park when the ball was thrown over the fence.

Robinson went to retrieve the ball, grabbing the fence to jump over.

A live wire was reportedly touching the fence and caused the electrocution.

Upon arrival, crews began chest compressions, attempting to revive the young boy before an ambulance arrived.

Robinson was transported by EMS to the Children’s Hospital of Augusta where he was later pronounced dead. 

His body has been taken to the GBI Lab for an autopsy.

Two other children were taken to an area hospital for treatment, as well.

Crews say David Sette and Traqwon Berry were electrocuted when they tried to pull Robinson down from the fence.

Both are currently recovering.

A vigil will be held at 6 p.m. Thursday night for at the place where he died near the baseball fence.

Augusta Richmond County manages Flemming Park in South Augusta where the incident happened. Augusta Mayor Hardie Davis has released the following statement:

The Augusta community is deeply saddened to learn of a tragic accident involving four Augustans at the Fleming Athletic Complex last evening. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of all involved in this accident.

We ask Augustans to stand together to extend our condolences and embrace the family of Melquan Kwame Robinson with love during this sudden and unexpected loss.

Georgia Power has also released a statement reading:

“Georgia Power’s condolences and sympathies are with the individuals and their families following last night’s tragic event at Fleming Athletic Complex. 

Our preliminary investigation indicates that Georgia Power does not control or maintain the voltage that energized the fence at the complex.  We will continue to work with local officials on their investigation.” 

There are still a lot of unanswered questions about how this happened. NewsChannel 6 is working hard to bring you the answers. 

Count on NewsChannel 6 for more details on this case as they’re available.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories