ALLENDALE COUNTY, S.C. (WJBF) – The South Carolina National Guard is helping medical staff at Allendale Correctional Institution during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The agency shared several pictures of the effort on social media.
We’ve learned quarantined inmates are being checked — including having their temperatures taken.
An Allendale Correctional inmate, hospitalized since Monday, May 4, died of COVID-19 at an outside hospital Wednesday, May 6. Officials say, Bryan Furman, 60, who had several underlying medical conditions, tested positive for the coronavirus on May 5.
At last check, 15 inmates and eight staff members at the facility have tested positive. The institution is on quarantine.
Right now, SCDC has 39 positive inmates systemwide. There are 30 active staff cases.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- President Trump escalates war on Twitter, social media protections with executive order
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp gives COVID-19 update
- Gov. McMaster extends State of Emergency another 15 days
- TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Home Goods to reopen most stores by end of June
- CSRA COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund surpasses $1 Million in total grants distributed to date
- Portuguese Man o’ War spotted on beaches from Surfside Beach to North Myrtle Beach
- 3 positive anti-body tests so far in AU Health’s Columbia County tests
- Respiratory therapists on the front line of the COVID-19 Pandemic