SYLVANIA, Ga. (WJBF) – The lawyer for Julian Lewis‘ family says the department of justice has given the green light for a civil rights investigation.
60-year-old Lewis was shot and killed on August 7.
According to the GBI, former State Trooper Jacob Thompson tried to pull over Lewis in Screven County. Next, Lewis started a brief chase. Thompson did a pit maneuver to stop the car Lewis was driving then fired one shot killing Lewis.
Lewis was laid to rest this past Saturday.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Interior designs reviewed for the new James Brown Arena
- Local organization aims to address period poverty in CSRA
- 16-year-old girl killed in Ohio police shooting
- After Chauvin, Minnesota set to prosecute three other officers in Floyd death
- ‘Basic accountability’: Biden advocates for reform after Chauvin verdict
- Former Pres. Obama, Minnesota governor, and more react to Chauvin verdict
- Derek Chauvin convicted in murder trial over George Floyd’s killing
- Derek Chauvin convicted in death of George Floyd