SYLVANIA, Ga. (WJBF) – The lawyer for Julian Lewis‘ family says the department of justice has given the green light for a civil rights investigation.
60-year-old Lewis was shot and killed on August 7.
According to the GBI, former State Trooper Jacob Thompson tried to pull over Lewis in Screven County. Next, Lewis started a brief chase. Thompson did a pit maneuver to stop the car Lewis was driving then fired one shot killing Lewis.
Thompson is being charged with Murder and Aggravated Assault.
Lewis was laid to rest this past Saturday.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Augusta National Women’s Amateur inspires young patrons
- Local relief efforts following storms, tornadoes ripping through Southeast
- New details in Augusta Tech’s plan for The Patch
- Trump indicted in Stormy Daniels hush money case
- Body found in Walton Way abandoned building fire identified
- Wheels Up Meals Up returns to help local non-profits serve the CSRA
- Richmond County public defender arrested for supplying toilet paper wrapper to inmate
- Road closures for Rock Fore! Dough in Evans Towne Center