SYLVANIA, Ga. (WJBF) – The lawyer for Julian Lewis‘ family says the department of justice has given the green light for a civil rights investigation.
60-year-old Lewis was shot and killed on August 7.
According to the GBI, former State Trooper Jacob Thompson tried to pull over Lewis in Screven County. Next, Lewis started a brief chase. Thompson did a pit maneuver to stop the car Lewis was driving then fired one shot killing Lewis.
Lewis was laid to rest this past Saturday.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- SLED: Pottery made by slaves in 1800’s stolen from Edgefield library
- Friday we’ll see increasing clouds, few showers moving in for the weekend.
- Live VIPIR 6 Forecast Friday, December 2, 2022
- Fort Gordon host Christmas festival and trees for troops
- Neighbors react after 5 people arrested for woman reportedly found beaten and naked in dog cage
- Augusta commissioners have serious talk about magic mushrooms
- Main Street Players getting ready to bring Christmas comedy to Edgefield
- Rural CSRA counties could get expanded broadband access thanks to new state grant