SYLVANIA, Ga. (WJBF) – The lawyer for Julian Lewis‘ family says the department of justice has given the green light for a civil rights investigation.
60-year-old Lewis was shot and killed on August 7.
According to the GBI, former State Trooper Jacob Thompson tried to pull over Lewis in Screven County. Next, Lewis started a brief chase. Thompson did a pit maneuver to stop the car Lewis was driving then fired one shot killing Lewis.
Lewis was laid to rest this past Saturday.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- United Way asking for help from CSRA for Stuff the Bus event
- Fourth of July mass shooting thwarted in Virginia’s capital, police say
- Pedestrian fatally struck twice on James Island was Outer Banks crew member
- Bond denied for Highland Park shooting suspect accused of killing 7, wounding dozens more
- Structure fire reported on Lundee Drive in Aiken
- Owner of funeral home pleads guilty to mail fraud following accusations of illegally selling body parts
- Boy killed, girl on life support after ATV hit-and-run crash in California
- Guitarist Carlos Santana collapses during performance in Michigan