SYLVANIA, Ga. (WJBF) – The lawyer for Julian Lewis‘ family says the department of justice has given the green light for a civil rights investigation.
60-year-old Lewis was shot and killed on August 7.
According to the GBI, former State Trooper Jacob Thompson tried to pull over Lewis in Screven County. Next, Lewis started a brief chase. Thompson did a pit maneuver to stop the car Lewis was driving then fired one shot killing Lewis.
Lewis was laid to rest this past Saturday.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Out There…Somewhere: “Conduct” a tour of new sculptures
- Trump impeachment trial to begin week of Feb. 8
- Washington County and other rural counties in Georgia see shortage of COVID-19 vaccine
- SLIDESHOW | Inaugural memes of Bernie Sanders: the gift that keeps on giving
- PHOTOS: Baseball’s Hank Aaron through the years
- Walmart expanding COVID-19 vaccine roll out to South Carolina
- $1 billion Mega Millions prize a result of long odds, slow sales
- 10th Avenue shooting under investigation