SYLVANIA, Ga. (WJBF) – The lawyer for Julian Lewis‘ family says the department of justice has given the green light for a civil rights investigation.
60-year-old Lewis was shot and killed on August 7.
According to the GBI, former State Trooper Jacob Thompson tried to pull over Lewis in Screven County. Next, Lewis started a brief chase. Thompson did a pit maneuver to stop the car Lewis was driving then fired one shot killing Lewis.
Lewis was laid to rest this past Saturday.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Former Augusta commissioner Sammie Sias files 3rd appeal
- New tattoo, piercing parlors in Columbia County must now be spaced one mile or more apart
- Georgia man sentenced to 100 years in federal prison on child exploitation charges
- Georgia High School athletes can now be paid for endorsement deals
- Homicide suspect from Allendale may be in Illinois, manhunt underway
- 5 wounded in shooting after homecoming event at Morgan State University in Baltimore
- Local law enforcement host ‘National Night Out’ in Dearing
- Golden Apple: Clyde Ergle, II