SYLVANIA, Ga. (WJBF) – The lawyer for Julian Lewis‘ family says the department of justice has given the green light for a civil rights investigation.
60-year-old Lewis was shot and killed on August 7.
According to the GBI, former State Trooper Jacob Thompson tried to pull over Lewis in Screven County. Next, Lewis started a brief chase. Thompson did a pit maneuver to stop the car Lewis was driving then fired one shot killing Lewis.
Lewis was laid to rest this past Saturday.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Local ‘Beetlejuice house’ returns for Halloween season
- All Treats for Saturday…few showers Sunday. – Click here for your forecast
- Murphey Middle School transitions to online learning due to increased COVID activity
- Appling father killed by 15-year-old son had a history of domestic violence
- Concerns in the CSRA about postal service
- Authorities: South Carolina man faces life in prison after buying ‘sex slave,’ putting her in his ‘dungeon’
- Walmart puts guns, ammunition back on display at US stores
- Georgia Governor Brian Kemp, First Lady quarantine after exposure to individual positive for COVID-19