SYLVANIA, Ga. (WJBF) – The lawyer for Julian Lewis‘ family says the department of justice has given the green light for a civil rights investigation.
60-year-old Lewis was shot and killed on August 7.
According to the GBI, former State Trooper Jacob Thompson tried to pull over Lewis in Screven County. Next, Lewis started a brief chase. Thompson did a pit maneuver to stop the car Lewis was driving then fired one shot killing Lewis.
Lewis was laid to rest this past Saturday.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Football Friday Night | Week 9
- State leaders hold town hall to hear farmers’ concerns
- Board vacancies need to be filled, but some find it difficult
- Murdaugh suffered “two superficial appearing bullet wounds” following shooting, medical records show
- Nikolas Cruz to plead guilty to Parkland school massacre, attorney says
- Camera catches Florida home intruder undoing pants before entering child’s bedroom
- Brian Laundrie search: Officers carrying large rifles into wooded area near Carlton Reserve are ‘training and searching,’ police say
- Border travel restrictions to lift on Nov. 8, White House official says