SYLVANIA, Ga. (WJBF) – The lawyer for Julian Lewis‘ family says the department of justice has given the green light for a civil rights investigation.
60-year-old Lewis was shot and killed on August 7.
According to the GBI, former State Trooper Jacob Thompson tried to pull over Lewis in Screven County. Next, Lewis started a brief chase. Thompson did a pit maneuver to stop the car Lewis was driving then fired one shot killing Lewis.
Lewis was laid to rest this past Saturday.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Man arrested after armed robbery at Aiken Quality Inn & Suites
- Manufacturing company to bring high skilled jobs to Augusta Corporate Park
- MCG researchers studying effectiveness of antibodies against COVID-19 variants
- FDA allows pharmacists to automatically swap ‘generic’ insulin for brand-name
- Biden calls for $100 payments to newly vaccinated Americans
- 11-year-old hits goal of mowing 50 lawns for people in need; starting his own business
- ‘Somebody wake me up’: Proud dad reacts to Clearwater’s Bobby Finke winning gold at Tokyo Olympics
- Vaccinated individuals should still get COVID tested, CDC says