FORT GORDON, Ga. (WJBF) – A Fort Gordon soldier is being recognized for his heroism.
His act of bravery, however, didn’t take place on a battlefield.
19-year-old Specialist Joshua Bolden helped rescue a woman and her two children from an overturned vehicle involved in a three-car accident on Wheeler Road near I-20 Wednesday.
An eyewitness says she saw Bolden and his friends sprint across traffic to the overturned vehicle to find the woman and her children trapped inside.
“I was just hoping it wasn’t as bad as it could be, because I’ve seen accidents before. So, when I saw the car flip I didn’t want it to completely turn over,” said Bolden.
Bolden and his friends worked to free the mother and children from the vehicle as other witnesses called 911.
“Being in the military has broadened my confidence a little bit; but I was a fire explorer before I joined the military. So, that aspect of helping people wasn’t really a new thing to me,” said Bolden.
After making sure everyone in the vehicle was alright, Bolden left the scene.
“I didn’t hear about the incident until the day after because just the type of soldier Specialist Bolden is. He felt like it was just a day-to-day thing that anybody would have done. He didn’t think it was nothing special. So, after the incident, I didn’t hear anything about it until it went up to higher,” said First Sergeant Steven Manuel.
“It just was second nature to me, I guess. I was just helping. It wasn’t like I was trying to be heroic. I was just helping,” said Bolden.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Trump’s Rushmore trip draws real and figurative fireworks
- FL Sheriff: I’ll deputize gun owners if violent protests erupt
- Doctor breaks down impact a vaccine will have on children suffering from Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome related to COVID-19
- RCSO searching for a missing Schizophrenic woman
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Father and son respond to driver having medical emergency behind the wheel
- Here is the latest Georgia news from The Associated Press at 8:40 a.m.
- Here is the latest South Carolina news from The Associated Press at 8:40 a.m.
- Topgolf’s grand opening tee’s off