JACKSON, S.C. (WJBF) – Authorities in Aiken County are investigating a body found outside a home on Atomic Road in Jackson.
The Aiken County Sheriff’s office received a burglary call shortly after 4 a.m. Tuesday morning.
Investigators say that the owner of the home told them that when he came home, he noticed Christmas presents were stolen and some piled in the center of the room.
He states that he then saw three black men get into a dark in color Buick sedan and leave the scene. A 4th suspect reportedly ran into the woods.
The Aiken Bloodhound Tracking team was called to search the woods. During the search, investigators discovered an unresponsive black man with an apparent gunshot wound and a firearm in his hand. He was pronounced dead by EMS on scene.
Aiken County Coroner Darryl Ables has identified the man as 19-year-old Amahad D. Darnes. His body has been sent to Newberry for an autopsy.
Further details into the investigation are limited at this time.
If you have any information, please call investigators at 803-648-6811
Count on WJBF NewsChannel 6 for more on this developing story.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Pilot rescued after plane crashes into power lines near Waycross
- Georgia man convicted of murder after shooting and burying 2
- Columbus high school cancels remainder of varsity football season
- Inflation adjustments will mean higher deductions for 2021 tax year: What to know
- Idaho hunter finds remains of another hunter who went missing 53 years ago
- Powerball jackpot soars to $523 million
- Mother, sister likely starved after caretaker choked to death, police say
- ‘Tiger King 2’ confirmed, coming to Netflix this year