Update | July 28, 2022 (WJBF) – Wednesday morning, The Burke County Sheriff’s Office shared an update on the search for Simon Powell:
I wanted to take an opportunity to give a brief update on the continuing investigation into the Simon Powell case. As of yesterday we have drained approximately 95 percent of the pond we are interested in. We have been able to search a portion of the dried pond for evidence over the last few days. Our search efforts involve raking away vegetation settled on the bottom of the pond and then sifting through mud and sand. We will continue searching the dried portion as we continue to drain the remainder of the pond. I expect that draining will take another two days. I want you to know that every effort is being taken to find the remains of Simon Powell and we are committed to bring this case to closure.Capt. Jimmy Wylds – Burke County Sheriff’s Office
Mr. Powell went missing in May of 2016.
WAYNESBORO, Ga. (WJBF) – According to the Burke County Sheriff’s Office, a large pond was drained today with plans for the search for Powell’s remains to begin, again, tomorrow.
Crystal Gail Simmons Mundy, 43, is still being sought for questioning.
Lambert was apprehended in Cumming, GA, Thursday, July 21st
Bond requests by both Lambert and Welch have been denied.
The timeline of his disappearance and what lead to Welch’s arrest can be read below:
- 06-02-2016: Burke County man still missing, now more than 1 week
- 06-02-2016: Family appeals to public for missing Burke County loved one
- 03-03-2017: Reward offered in location of missing Burke County man
- 04-26-2017: Sheriff of Burke County Reopens Old, Cold Cases
- 08-13-2017: Burke County sheriff asking for help in 3 unsolved cases
- 01-05-2018: Two billboards go up calling for answers in missing Burke County man’s cold case
- 06-01-2018: Reward up to $15K for Simon Powell, Burke Co. man missing since 2016
- 06-01-2022: Burke County Sheriff offering $30,000 award in search of missing man