BAMBERG COUNTY, S.C. (WJBF) – Agents with the S.C. Law Enforcement Division yesterday arrested former Bamberg County Council Chairman, Kerry Trent Kinard, in Bamberg on multiple violations of South Carolina law.
According to SLED, Kinard, 49, is charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor, attempted criminal sexual contact with a minor, two counts of criminal solicitation of a minor, first-degree assault and battery, and two counts of dissemination of obscene material.
“Trent has been such a key factor in the Bamberg County community. He’s put playgrounds in communities and been there for families. He’s always been a support and a source for families that needed things. So he was the go-to person for families,” Community Activist Deanna Miller-Berry told NewsChannel 6’s Shawn Cabbagestalk. “It’s just a huge blow to know that somebody who was that connected and that invested to have done such heinous things that they’re alleging him to do,” she added.
Warning the details are graphic.
- Between 2008-2010, the defendant engaged in sexual battery with a male juvenile victim (between the ages of 6-8) by placing his hand in the male juveniles’ pants and grabbing the male juveniles’ penis.
- Between the years of 2008-2019, the defendant displayed and presented to a juvenile male pornography depicting vaginal and or anal intercourse multiple times a year.
- Between 2016-2017, the defendant attempt to engage in sexual battery, attempted vaginal intercourse, with a juvenile victim who was between the ages of fourteen and sixteen.
- Between 2017-2019, the defendant communicated with a juvenile male, for the purpose of persuading, inducing, and or enticing said juvenile male to engage in sexual activity with him.
- On September 16, Kinard display and present to a juvenile female pornography depicting vaginal intercourse while at his home.
- On September 17, 2020, the defendant touched the private parts of a juvenile female, through her clothing with lewd and lascivious intent, without consent.
- The defendant knowingly communicated with a juvenile female, for the purpose of persuading, inducing, and or enticing said juvenile female to engage in sexual activity.
SLED investigated the case at the request of the Bamberg Police Department.
Kinard was booked at the Bamberg County Detention Center.
The case will be prosecuted by the Second Circuit Solicitor’s Office.
Shawn reached out to both the County and County Council for a statement regarding the charges Kinard is facing. “At this time, the County has no statement regarding Mr. Kinard,” County Public Information Officer Mary Tilton said. “At this point, we know only what has been posted on social media,” she added.
The current Bamberg County Council Chairwoman Sharon Hammond asks for prayers during this time. “Pray for Bamberg County,” she said. “This will not affect Bamberg County Council, the body will continue to do the work as elected by the citizens of this County,” she added.
Count on NewsChannel 6 to keep you updated on this developing story.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Free rides offered to and from CSRA polling sites
- Greenville Co. deputy dies, 4 others injured after crashes on I-85NB
- Food insecurity increasing in the CSRA due to Covid
- Commission addresses Fire Department needs report
- Commissioners see where storm water funds have gone
- Augusta Commissioner says pay raise needed
- Augusta personal care home recently passed state investigation
- Ghost Face Gangster is final defendant sentenced in meth trafficking investigation