AIKEN, SC (WJBF) – Aiken County schools start their graduation ceremonies today and tomorrow.
Because of the pandemic, things are going to look a little different this year starting with the location. It’s normally at USC Aiken, but now it’ll be outside on each school’s football field.
Students spent their time here showing their school pride during football season, and what a full circle to walk that stage at your home base.
Not only is the location different, but so is the seating! The chairs are socially distanced on the football field.
On the sidelines is for family and friends. There are markings on the stands for reference on how far a part to be.
There’s only two guests allowed per student.
Aiken County Schools Superintendent, King Laurence, says, “it’s a right of passage that students go through as they leave that K-12 environment and go on into the workforce or go into college or into the military, this is a defining moment.”
He says the students are grateful.
Students who do not attend will still have their names called. Masks are recommended but not required.
For those who can’t make it, there are links for each ceremony to live stream:
- Aiken High School
- Midland Valley High School
- North Augusta High School
- South Aiken High School
- Silver Bluff High School
- Ridge Spring-Monetta High School
- Wagener-Salley High School
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Higher fireworks sales may mean more people in the emergency room with injuries
- Accident involving firetruck on Walton Way at Highland Avenue
- MLB cancels All-Star Game for 1st time since 1945
- Sponsor FedEx asks Redskins to change their name
- NFL to play Black anthem before national anthem
- 5 die after SUV crosses interstate median in South Carolina
- Here’s where you’ll have to quarantine if you’re traveling to or from South Carolina
- Trump’s Rushmore trip draws real and figurative fireworks