AIKEN COUNTY, S.C. (WJBF) – The American Red Cross is assisting two families in Aiken County following two separate house fires.
One incident took place on Old Camp Long Road early Sunday, February 24. The Center Fire Department responded to the blaze. Two adults were displaced.
The second fire took place on Miller Road on Sunday afternoon. The Merriwether Fire Department responded to the blaze. Five adults and five children were living in the home.
We’re told the Red Cross is providing financial assistance for food, clothing, lodging and other essentials, and comfort kits containing personal hygiene items.
The American Red Cross is offering the following tips:
In the middle of winter, nothing feels better than a warm place to rest your feet. Unfortunately, many supplemental heating appliances can be dangerous if not used correctly. Space heaters must be kept at least three feet away from anything that may burn and placed on a hard level, non-flammable surface. Remember kids and pets can easily get burned if they get too close. Make sure that the power cord is in good repair, that it is plugged directly into a wall outlet, and do not use an extension cord. Using a stove top or an oven is not an acceptable alternative heat source, it can easily turn tragic. If you used wood, coal, or gas in your home a carbon monoxide alarm is a mandatory safety device.