Youth Day of Service honoring MLK

Your Hometown

A local woman wants kids to be engaged during Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

“If you believe in something, if you want to do something then you can do it,” asserted Belle Terrace Presbyterian Church Youth Director Joy Johnson Brown.

Dr. King inspires millions of people across the world. 

Brown said, “Love, service, and unity. When I think of MLK, those are the words that come to my mind. Love, service and unity.”

The church will host the third annual Youth Day of Service on January 21st. They are partnered with AmeriCorps VISTAs of the CSRA United Way.

“We’ll be servicing 13 agencies with toiletry bags for those with needs. One person can make a difference in your community.”

Brown started the annual Youth Day of Service because she didn’t want to see people not being productive on an American day honoring a civil rights icon.

She explained, “I have 4 girls myself and usually they’re just laying around doing nothing so I said let me put them to work as well as those in my community.”

The Youth Day of Service is how Brown and many others are continuing the legacy of the beloved Dr. King.

“His previous speeches, reading his letter from Birmingham, some of that stuff is still so much relevant today and it really does just ignite a fire in me to do more,” said Brown.

Most importantly, Brown says she’s always happy to help.

“You never know when you may need help or when you help someone how that makes them feel. It’s like a chain reaction. It’s just a domino effect of service.”

The Youth Day of Service at Belle Terrace Presbyterian Church and will last from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on January 21st. People will pack toiletry kits, make Valentine’s day cards for Meals on Wheels, learn songs, and receive a pep talk from a special guest.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.