Santa Claus stops his sleigh in Augusta before making his big journey

Your Hometown

‘Twas the night before Christmas and all through the River Region you can see holiday fanatics gearing up for the most wonderful time of the year. 

Many boys and girls getting ready for Santa Claus to come bring gifts to their homes. 

Christmas is a time for family, spreading joy and family traditions. One Augusta family’s tradition is wishing Santa Claus well before he makes his trip delivering presents all over the world.

“I know you’re probably busy, and I said I’m busy, but for y’all I spend a few minutes to visit with your children,” said Santa Claus.

A family tradition that runs more than three decades long. The Nalley family spends every Christmas Eve with their loved ones. Just before the night ends, an unexpected guest greets them.

“I started seeing them for about 35 years ago at another location,” explained Claus. “When they moved over here I just continued coming on Christmas Eve to see their kids; now I’m seeing 
their grandkids.” 

It began as making appearances at the Nalley’s Christmas parties, to visiting their children before Christmas day.

35 years later the family says their love for Santa Claus is unmatched.

“It makes you feel pretty old,” laughed the Nalleys. “It makes me realize my age, but I still love it, I hope I’ll be around for a lot more Christmas’ with my kids and grand-kids.”

The family told NewsChannel 6 reporter Devin Johnson Santa visiting every Christmas Eve is special to them because their kids get to meet the man who brought them joy growing up. 

“I think because it’s a tradition that is really special to us, and we know him for a long time,” explained the Nalleys. “We always have done it as a family, so want to continue doing it. We do love Santa.”

Before Santa takes off in his sleigh for the big night, he has a message for all of the boys and girls.

“I’m going to surprise you tonight while you’re sleeping, don’t try to peak,” said Claus. “Merry Christmas Ho Ho Ho.”

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.